Because we would be wise to buy some! This morning our daring little two year old gave his momma the scare of her life. We were running late (of course) to get Adrik to preschool. I was knelt down at the bottom of the stairs showing Adrik (for the ten-thousandth time) how to put on his shoes so that Thomas, Percy and James face the OUTSIDE of his foot; because if they face the inside of his foot (meaning his shoe is on the WRONG foot) they will chug right into his other foot when they pull out of the station. Just as I was pulling over the velcro strap on the second shoe, I saw it. Just out of the corner of my eye, a quick flash, but I knew immediately what it was. A small child flying through the air is a frightening site....even from just the corner of your eye! Sure enough, I heard the screams before I could even turn around. Jantzen had been standing on the third or fourth step (I don't know for sure, and at this point I'm not sure I even want to know) and decided to leap to the bottom. He belly-flopped on the carpet and went nose first into the floor. As I picked him up he let out a huge wail and sprayed both of us with blood. It was not pleasant, and I came quite close to panicking. Adrik has never had such an incident; and you know, having been raised without any brothers, or really any sort of experience at all in the rough and tumble play of boys, I don't feel totally prepared for raising this little child of mine.
I tipped him backward in my arms and ran for the phone. Jantz was screaming and flailing his little legs, so I knew this was much more than a typical "owie" cry. I called Keil's office and managed to ask to speak to him without breaking into tears myself. I was ready to tell him to meet me at the Emergency Room because I was sure my precious baby's face was going to be permanently disfigured. After I explained what happened, Keil (having been raised with a brother and having been a boy once himself) calmly told me to "just give it a minute and see if he settles down." He then asked "How long has it been, five or ten minutes?" When I answered, "No! About 30 seconds!," I swear I heard him choking back laughter.
As predicted by my husband,(the know - all - authority - on - raising - Fisher - boys) the bleeding and the screaming subsided about 2 minutes later. I managed to re-group, get both boys to the car (with their shoes on the right feet, by the way) and dropped Adrik (and his cupcakes and party favors) off at preschool 20 minutes late. Jantz and I then went to meet some friends at the indoor playground at the mall where he immediately climbed to the top of the highest piece of equipment he could find and jumped off. I had to cover my eyes until Brittany laughed and informed me that he "stuck the landing this time." I have a feeling we're definately going to get our money's worth out of our health insurance policy with this feisty little Fish on board!

No comments:
Post a Comment