Mean Mommy
Just as we were celebrating Adrik's vocabulary I had a sudden and very strong urge to go back to the days when he couldn't talk at all. Back to when he was very young and was a total "mommy's boy;" when, if anyone else (including Keil at times!) so much as looked at him he would come running to me and snuggle up. At the time I wanted very much for him to outgrow his shyness and learn to be a social kid.
Well, he's definately outgrown the shyness and is very social. And he's definately no longer a "mommy's boy." Last night we were sitting at the table finishing dinner and Adrik began hitting my legs. I asked him to "please stop." He continued; so I asked him again, a bit more firmly, to "Stop that." Again, he continued, so finally I took ahold of his hands and told him to stop or he could sit in time out.
Adrik immediately turned to Keil and announced, "Daddy, mine mommy is MEAN!" Keil, of course, had to turn away because he had grape juice coming out his nostrils from laughing so hard. When he finally got himself a bit under control, Keil tried to reason with Adrik:
"Your mommy isn't mean, Adrik. You need to listen when she asks you to do something."
To which Adrik replied, "No, mine mommy IS MEAN!"
I shook of the shock as best I could and stepped in (as Keil was now laughing again) and told Adrik that he was being disrespectful. I said, "Adrik, mommy isn't mean, you need to start listening or you're going to be spending a lot of time in time out. I don't want to hear you say 'mommy is mean' again. That's not nice."
I thought he had finally gotten the message as he sighed and turned away. That is, until he looked over his shoulder at me and mumbled, "Yes you am." I thought Keil was about to fall off his chair; he was trying so hard to conceal the laughter. I, of course, was almost in tears. Here's this little child, who for over 3 years now I have dedicated my whole life to. I've been with him 24/7, caring for him, loving him, feeding him, playing with him, protecting and comforting him.....and what's my thanks? I'm a "mean mommy." Jeez, what's it going to be like when he's a teenager?
Despite this little incident (and the fact that I know there will be more of them) I still think being a mom is the best job in the world. The most thankless, true.....but still the best. At least Jantz still loves me!

3 comments:
Lisa, you should write a column for a newspaper, you really should!!! These stories are so good and funny and it's so easy for me to picture it all from your descriptions. I'm serious when I say you should contact some newspapers to see if they would like to have some type of a "Mommy's" column.
I'll never forget the first time Adam (who's 25 now) told me he hated me. I thought my world would crumble, but by the time Will (my fourth son) came along and said it once when he was small, I was able to just blow it off.
Believe me, you'll get more used to it!!!! Hahah!
What goes around, comes around... hehehehe
Gee, I bet noone can guess who that second comment is from. I guess that's how I can feel better about Adrik calling me mean; I just have to wait until he grows up and has kids of his own to call him mean!
Thanks for the loving support, Mom. I knew I could count on you. :)
Post a Comment