Saturday, November 05, 2005

Boys

Do you know what boys are like? They are loud, wild, rambunctious, dirty; even the grown up ones!! Have you ever tried to go shopping with 2 little boys and their Daddy? Let me just say, I do not recommend the experience, unless of course you want to come home with a strong desire to pluck out your own eyelashes one at time, because that certainly has to be more pleasant than what you've just experienced. We left the house at 4:00 this afternoon and went to Lowe's, McDonald's and WalMart. We didn't get home until almost 8:00!

At Lowe's, we put the boys into one of those big shopping carts that looks like a race car; hoping that would entertain them while we walked through the store. It did not. At one point, we were talking to a sales associate in a crowded isle full of other shoppers when all of sudden I found myself yelling very loudly (and without thinking) "ADRIK DANIEL, STOP LICKINGYOUR BROTHER!!" And then of course, everyone in the isle turned to watch as my 3 year old son darted his eyes sideways to peek at me and then slowly retracted his tongue from his brother's cheek.

Shortly after that, they wanted out of the cart and I didn't argue. At least maybe they'd quit teetering perilously on their tiptoes in the tiny seat of the basket, and sucking up Lord-only-knows-how-many germs from the handlebar. YUCK! From that point on, I wish I had started counting, because if I had a dollar for everytime I said, "Adrik, Jantzen, come HERE!," I could buy you all a really great Christmas present. Keil is really not much help when the two of them start darting around the store, because he gets quickly pulled into the game of Lions and Antelope. And who can blame him really; I mean, let's look at the choices here: Have a discussion with your hostile wife about why you don't think it's necessary to buy a $40 gallon of granite textured paint to makeover a coffee table; OR pretend that you are an antelope, galloping through the open grasslands as big lions (your 3 and 1 year olds) pounce and attack (tickle) you. Hmmmm.........

We were off to McDonald's. I went to the counter and ordered the usual, and when I turned around I found my 33 year old husband running in circles; chasing my sons. In the middle of McDonald's. I don't really recall the exact verbage of my tongue lashing, but I'm fairly certain the word "heathens" was used extensively. Keil's response?...."I told you I like this McDonald's because there's so much open space around the drink fountain!!" Yes dear, and I'm sure that when they put in all that open space their one true intention was for their customers to chase each other around like wild animals!

Walmart was just as much fun as Lowe's, only the boys were even more wound up because they were "tired naughty" and had just refueled, mommy's patience was completely gone and then we had to have an argument about what kind of underwear to buy Adrik. Let's just say that mommy wanted the cute camouflauge ones, daddy wanted the cheap whitey tighty's, Adrik was doing the chicken dance to the Little People music demonstration and could have cared less; so daddy won.

As we carried our $99.08 worth of purchases out in one bag, I decided that from now on, I'm going alone!

Oh, here's two pictures, since I know that there are some of you who really only come here for pictures of the little ones! The first is a funny one of Adrik dancing in my dress shoes, and the second is of Jantzen about to throw a ball backwards over his head. He LOVES to do this, even though most of the time the ball ends up bonking him in the face!



No comments: